Classic of winter classics

12/19/2008 12:49:00 am / The truth was spoken by Rich /


For the last two seasons the NHL have staged an outdoor game. The inaugural event was played in Edmonton between the Oilers and Montreal Canadiens at Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium. Briwyant stuff it was watched by 57,000 hard-core hockey dudes in -30c temperatures - so successful was it they decided to make it annual thing.

Last year it was in Buffalo, this year it's being held at Wrigley Field, home of the Chicago Cubs. Any game between the Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Redwings is a classic. They're two of the original six teams and have played each other more than any other two teams in the history of the NHL. This is the classic of all of winter classics.

It's played on New Years Day. I went to Chicago in January once, I think with wind chill it was something like -35 and that's -35 in both temperature scales. I saw a dude in a t-shirt and wondered what a Geordie was doing on the south side of Chicago in January.

Wrigley Field is a great looking stadium. I love sports stadiums. Whenever I visit a new city I head for the stadiums. I like the old school baseball stadiums and Wrigley Field is the most characteristic with it's Boston Ivy outfield wall - it looks great covered in snow.

I'd love to be there, but since I'm not as hard-core as I used to be I'll be just as happy watching it at home - maybe with the window open for effect.

Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment