An insignifcant ramble

6/01/2008 06:45:00 pm / The truth was spoken by Rich /

I'm big on motorbikes. I learned me how to ride a motorbike way before I learned how to drive. I only turned to cars after getting pissed off with turning up at my college in the winter mornings with my hands literally frozen. At this time I was only legally allowed to ride a 50cc moped..it wasn't a moped of course, it was a cool trail bike, with a moped engine, but anyway, 30mph was it would do and the seven miles to college would take long enough that I could dip my fingers in hot tea and not feel a thing.

I progressed to mans bikes eventually, but a couple of years ago I decided it was too expensive and too much of a hassle to pay all that money for something I was only using once a week at the most. We don't have the best weather for bikes to be fair to us. I used to get pissed off with getting ready to go out too. It was like being a fighter pilot; putting on all the gear, checking the bike, starting it up, launching myself off at mach 3 etc. I'd be knackered before I'd even reached the end of my drive way.

Another slight problem was losing my sense of balance. It's quite important to be able to balance yourself properly if you're traveling dead fast around corners and Barry Sheening your way to the shops at a speed that gets you there before you left. I'm deaf in my right ear though and it means when I look behind me I go all wonky and people's hedge's and walls and well, people suddenly are heading straight for me. I can't keep myself in a straight line.

But though...but...today was a good day for watching motorbike racing. MotoGP from Mugello and the Isle of Man TT highlights, which is really the most dangerous thing a man can do next to Russian Roulette and going for quiet beer with Paul in downtown Las Vegas. I won't lie to you though, I've kind of got me a hankering for another bike.

If I told my poor mummy this she'd vow never to cook another Sunday lunch for me again. So we'll keep this between us for now. It'll probably just be a curious itch that'll disappear by the end of the week. Sometimes though, my curiosity is harder to satisfy than my appetite for Buffalo chicken wings in hot sauce.

I'm in one of those seductively dangerous frames of mind at the moment you see people. You know what I'm talking about,...you only live once kinda thing. I'm a dangerous person to be around in this kind of mood. It's Vegas that has done it. I'd assumed I'd never go to America again what with one thing or another, but now I've been and come back, I want more damn it. As Malcolm X once said, I AM A MAN. I think it was him. Or was it Kenny Everett? I'm still alive is what I'm trying to say, might as well do me some livin'.

I'm off to the Pigeons now for some real poker..none of that Vegas bollocks. Don't tell me Mam about the motorbike thing OK. I'll give it some more thought over the next few days. In the meantime, this is a very fuzzy picture of my beautiful Ducati 748 that was my pride and joy. Better pictures to come when I get a scanner sorted out.


0 comments:

Post a Comment