Why oh why oh why...

4/13/2008 02:00:00 am / The truth was spoken by Rich /

I was just eating a carrot and something popped into my head. It's a poker issue so those of you not interested in the game can move along.

Now then...why when all the money goes in pre-flop does the dealer still burn three cards for each of the betting street? This is no further betting. Obviously they need to burn the top card, but why if there is no further betting do they still burn a card on the turn and river? Surely they can just burn the top card and then splat down all five community cards at once, oui?

Burning three cards this way only adds to the feeling of misfortune if the final river card is the card that loses the pot for you. If you just splatted five cards down and spread them out there'd be none of that false sense of misfortune and none of this whining about being "rivered."

Once the money goes in, the order of the five board cards is irrelevant. You're no more unfortunate if the door card loses the pot for you than the river card. So from now on I'm campaigning for a dealer splat if the money goes all-in pre-flop.

Also, I just have to get this off my wee chest. One of my pet peeves in poker is players complaining of bad plays after getting their money in with the best of it and being sucked out on.

I'm guilty of it myself to be fair, but it's such a wrong-un. It's more wrong than marrying a cousin. Let's say for example, you're holding ooooh I don't know..Ace-King and your opponent has erm..let's say Ace-Deuce. The flop is Ace high and the money goes in.

The turn is a deuce and the river a blank, winning the pot for the Ace-dDeuce. Now Ace-King guy whines about a terrible call. This is unacceptable and French based ponce derived whining. You're almost 9/1 to win the hand on the flop!

You ought to be singing zippity-do-dah in your head when you hear the guy announce "call." If you're not prepared to accept odds of 9/1 you shouldn't be playing. That's how you make money in poker, by other people making poor decisions.

So anyway, don't whine to the player about his call. Especially if the player is me. I'm fragile and I might cry and you're bitching to the wrong guy. Don't hate the player hate the game man. Oui?

0 comments:

Post a Comment