Hand analysisations

3/19/2008 05:20:00 pm / The truth was spoken by Rich /

So there's a couple of hands from my recent wins that I've been considering since. These were both final table hands; both of which I won, but ultimately got very lucky. I did however get my money in first on both occasions, but I'm wondering whether my play was reckless or at least too aggressive and the same for the respective mateyboys for both hands.


Hand number one from Dusk Till Dawn.

Three handed, blinds at 8,000/16,000/ante 1000

My hand:











Mateyboy's hand:












I'm on the big-blind. Button mateyboy raises another 30,000. Small-blind folds, I call as I'm intending to stop and go him.

Board
I push on the flop for 110,000. If mateyboy folds he is left with 180,000. I would have 280,000 and the third player 120,000. He decides to call, but I hit my ten on the turn (a two outer!) and I'm in a whizzy jolly position to win the tournament.

Was I being too risky betting into a pre-flop raiser with an ace on the flop? Was he priced in with just a flush draw? Were we both playing too fast? Will Batman escape? Find out next week. I think I played this hand about as badly as was possible under the circumstances and just got away with it.


Hand number two from the Fox

Five handed (I think) - blinds at 2,000/4,000

My hand:











Mateyboy's hand:












I'm on the button, folded round to me. I make it 15,000 to go. Small-blind folds, mateyboy Martin on the big-blind umms and ahhhs and flat calls.

Board
After the flop some more umming and ahhhing from mateyboy Martin ultimately he decides to check at which point I insta-shove. Now, immediately I'm thinking oops I shouldn't have done that. Even if it's the right thing to do an immediate shove like that screams of bluff.

By my way of thinking, mateyboy Martin had flat called with the intention of shoving whatever came down on the flop, so for him to check the way he did could only mean two things: either he's hit flop massively or he's a great big nancy boy and lost his bottle.

To be fair to him, I had to discount the latter theory, but when he didn't call immediately it did indeed seem that he'd talked himself out of the stop and go which would have won him the pot.

I assume at this point that I am safe, however he rediscovered his courage and did eventually call with nothing but King high!! That took balls I said to myself. Balls you'd normally see swinging between the hind legs of a hippo.

My blood turned to ice the heavens fell as did my jaw when I saw his hand. Fortunately, very fortunately, I hit an eight on the river and mateyboy Martins' amazing call was rewarded with noffin but a seat at the cash table.

So, the same questions apply as with the last hand; with blinds at 2,000/4,000 where we both playing too fast? Approximate chip counts before the hand were 65,000-ish to me and 35,000 for Martin. Something like that.

Let me know what you think people because if I'm playing too fast I need to calm the fuck down as I can't keep getting this lucky. I thank you.

2 comments:

Comment by Alan on 21 March 2008 at 09:44

Hand 1 was actually a 1-outer... if "Hamid Raja Shalah al-Tikriti" hits, you lose to a flush.

As for slowing down... why change a winning strategy? Play the rush!!

Comment by Rich on 21 March 2008 at 15:15

The money went in on the flop. So I had the two tens to win. As you say, Hamed Raja Shalah Al-Tikriti is no good as it gives mateyboy his flush, so I have only Arb Al-Tawab Mullah Huwaysh and Latif Nusayyif Jasim Al-Dulaymi as outs.

Post a Comment