Der Der da da daaaaaa

3/09/2008 12:17:00 pm / The truth was spoken by Rich /

In real terms that was the best Saturday I've had since I managed to score an Action-Man tank on Noel Edmonds' Multi-Coloured Swap Shop in return for some manky old roller boots I'd found near some bins.

Manchester United's hilarious defeat to Portsmouth was only the start of a corking series of results. Chelsea losing to Barnsley?? Barnsley tha' knooows! How in the wide wide world of sports did that happen? Grand.

Then of course by jove I went and won the £50 freeze-out at DTD. I said I was due a performance now didn't I, hmm? I did warn you. Yes, ok, so I did take a book with me in case I busted out early, but that was just necessary prudence to keep me away from the cash tables.

So a quick report then and why not:

Actually there's not much to tell. I'd have had to give myself a thorough repremanding not to have gone deep in this tourny. I was dealt Aces six times for the sake of the lord. Cracked only once and even then I was compensated with a juicy side-pot.

The plan was to play Dan Harrington style. Everyone plays too fast and too aggressively in these games. Poker has come full circle, a revolution if you will out of the evolution of Scandanavian ballistic poker strategies. Dan was in, then he was out, now he's in again.

I was able to mooch about and wait for hands, with the odd sneaky steal here and there, safe in the knowledge that the hyper-aggressive non-shavers yet players would pay me off handsomely when they came. The predator masquerading as a donkey as I explained in a previous post. Er..and that's it really, as ABC as you're ever likely to see.

Couple of significant hands:

Significant hand #1

Blinds 100/200

I raise to 600 utg +1. Mateyboy 1 flat calls, folded round to a second mateyboy on the bytton who goes all in for 8,000! I call. Matey boy 1 folds what he later claimed was Ace-Jack.

Mateyboy 2 shows A-K hearts, slightly over played wouldn't you say Dan? My Queens hold up anyway, but the flop was a Jack-tastic J-J-10. Had mateyboy 2 not launched his entire tournament into the middle I'd have probably lost most if not all of my stack to matey boy 1's Ace-Jack. Phew!

Significant hand # 2

Final table, blinds 5000/10,000/1,000 antes.

Three handed. I'm on the big blind. Button raises to 30,000. Small blind folds. I have 10d 9c. I decide to have a bash at a stop and go and in the words of Barry Norman, why not? I call. Flop comes down a tad scary Qs-As-xc.

I go all-in for 110,000. Button who is chip leader at this point with about 180,000 goes into the tank and finally decides to call with a flush draw; Ks-9s. Turn card is the 10 hearts. I hit my two-outer! Woot. River a blank and I take possession of the chip-lead.

I felt rather guilty hitting this two outer, but in retrospect I'm wondering if his call was not a tad loose, people; 110,000 of your remaining 180,000 on a draw? Not sure he was pot-committed, in fact I'm still not entirely convinced there is such a thing in tournament NLHE apart from the most extreme cases. Hey-ho.

Significant hand # 3

Heads-up. Blinds 8,000/16,000/1,500 antes.

Me small blind Ah-8h. Flat call see. Sneaky. Sort of. Matey boy raises to 40,000. Me all in...called. Ks-9s. Blank board and I win, hoorah!

I did actually offer up a deal when we were five handed, but the matey boy I eventually beat heads-up decided he wanted play it out. Another significant decision. So I won the tourney and scooped the entire first prize. Also slightly fortunate was a DTD policy of no deals at bubble time. Prize structure was paying 12 places with 10th, 11th and 12th each receiving £91.

Down to 13 players I suggested we scrape £91 off the 1st prize to give to the bubbler, which as it turned out I would have paid for. No such deals allowed though and in hindsight, quite right too.

Picture courtesy of Alan. I'm supposed to be winking here, but it looks like I'm having a stroke.

Let's end here with something vaguely associated with what we've been discussing here.


0 comments:

Post a Comment