Look and pee

2/20/2008 06:09:00 pm / The truth was spoken by Rich /

I made an error last night. I found myself Dorian Gray stylee, lurking about in some of the darkest corners of You Tube in the wee small hours where I stumbled upon the entire series of The Boy from Space; undoubtedly the scariest children's programme in the history of telly.

I was six years old the last time I saw this show and I found it equally disturbing last night as I did in 1980. As I recall at Primary School Monday afternoons we were treated to a bit of TV. Educational TV, but TV nonetheless. Look and Read the show was called. Presented by some weird dude floating about with letters all over his face.

During Look and Read there was a 10 minute scary as fuck show that served what purpose I have not a fucking scoobies, except perhaps to make Heidi Flaxman piss her self, which she only usually did when they made us do country dancing. Dark Towers was one of these shows, but the Boy from Space was in a different league of terror.

After the pissing incident the teachers let us decide whether we wanted to watch the show or hide in the next room and paint pictures of horses. The girls chose to paint pictures, most of the boys would have too, including me, but obviously we didn't want to appear scared and so we sat there pretending we were enjoying it when in reality it was giving us all nightmares ..some of which I still have.

The boy from space was extra scary for me cause the baddie space dude wore a brown mac which was just like one my Dad owned that he kept hanging in my wardrobe. Everytime I was on my own in my room the sight of that mac would slacken my bladder.

So anyway, last night I sat and watched all ten episodes and to be fair, I'm thinking of suing the BBC and my Primary School for making me watch it. They may have assumed it to be harmless, but the psychological damage of this show on all of us is undeniable. It's on a par with that poor Marie Curie woman and her husband who discovered uranium and fannied about with it thinking it was brilliant and glowy only to die some time later of Leukemia.

If you're not familiar with it, have a goosey:


1 comments:

Comment by Unknown on 20 February 2008 at 20:48

Funny you should say that, i'll have to check those out on youtube. There's not a week goes by that i don't think about look and read. Think there was 10 minutes education and 10 minutes incredibly scary story.

I remember one where a boy called ossie i think was hiding from some murderers and was walking up some stairs only to find the murderes walking down the stairs.

As i remember he "hid" from these murderers by simply clenching back against the wall as if he was invisible. Great tip for next time the knocking shop gets raided.

Post a Comment