Yes, but still

4/05/2007 09:59:00 pm / The truth was spoken by Rich /

Obviously the Iranian Prime Minister checks my blog. I'm glad to hear it. OK now let's get to the getting. Obviously it's all very good that our people have been released, but one can't help but feel a bit of a fuss is being made of their "ordeal".

I'm not suggesting they've just spend two weeks in an Iranian Butlins, but these people are not civilian holiday makers taken captive and tortured, they're members of the British Armed Forces. And forgive me for being a little harsh, but I do get the impression that they have all behaved like a bunch of big girls blouses.

When I think of the Royal Marines, I think of men with obligatory tash's and no front teeth. Every single Royal Marine and Para who fought in the Falklands War had these features. No teeth I assume from biting the enemy. Most of the Argentine personnel were disposed of at the point of the British bayonet they say, probably because it was too frookin cold for them to fire their weapons. That's the British Army I remember.












These people were more like Teletubbies. Jumping about hugging each other when they were giving Gucci watches like it's Christmas Day. "Oooh I've got a blue one", said one guy who apparently doesn't need to shave yet.

Obviously I don't know how these men have been trained to behave when captured. I assume they are trained with this eventuality in mind. Perhaps they did everything their training taught them to do. Perhaps it's now part of basic training to thank someone for taking you hostage. And perhaps it's now standard practice to jump about like John Inman when your release is announced. And perhaps it's now considered the correct action to take when held hostage to wear suits that are three sizes too big and consent to your own humiliation and that of your country by being paraded about on television.

Alls I know is it used to be name rank and number and if you want more than that you can jolly well remember who you're talking to you dirty faced dish-dash sandal wearing baboons. Either way, this has been humiliating. More so than drawing 0-0 with Israel a few weeks ago and I think if I was a serving in Iraq at the moment, I wouldn't find this whole episode very reassuring should I find myself in a similar situation in the future.


0 comments:

Post a Comment